Sunday, June 20, 2010

Book Review: The Book of Awesome


The Book of Awesome (2010) by Neil Pasricha

Inside Jacket: Sometimes it's easy to forget the things that make us smile. With a 24/7 news cycle reporting that the polar ice caps are melting, hurricanes are swirling in the seas, wars are heating up around the world, and the job market is in a deep freeze, it's tempting to feel that the world is falling apart. But awesome things are all around us--sometimes we just need someone to point them out. The Book of Awesome reminds us that the best things in life are free (yes, your grandma was right). With laugh-out-loud observations from award-winning comedy writer Neil Pasricha, The Book of Awesome is filled with smile-inducing moments on every page that make you feel like a kid looking at the world for the first time. Read it and you'll remember all the things there are to feel good about.

Review: While visiting Canada, I came across this book in a Chapters store (which is like a Barnes & Noble). It was on their "Perfect for Dads" display, but in my not so humble opinion (I'm kidding, I'm always humble)*, it's perfect for everyone. This book is a fantastic reminder of all the little things that make living life awesome. It's written in short snippets that are restricted to one awesome thing each. (Kind of like blog posts! Which is probably because it was inspired by Pasricha's blog, 1000 Awesome Things). It's perfect if you want a pick-me-up, because you can either enjoy it a page at a time or sit down and read for several joyful hours. Topics included are fixing electronics by smacking them, popping bubble wrap, and when cashiers open up new checkout lanes at the grocery store.

Bonus: The cover is uniquely rubbery and the letters kind of bump up. Hours of textured fun! I just sat there rubbing it until they made me buy it.**


Conclusion: I give this book a 4/5. I can definitely see myself returning to it to read particularly exceptional snippets and remind myself that simple things can be the best things. I'm aware that it's not fiction, and that it doesn't have a plot or characters, but it's lighthearted and funny and will make you FEEL GOOD ABOUT LIFE. Which makes this book AWESOME.



*Don't believe things you read on the Internets!
**I am kidding, I don't do things like that. >.>

FTC: I'm not affiliated with the author, publishers or other corporations associated with this book. This includes Chapters.

No comments:

Post a Comment