Monday, June 28, 2010

A Fortuitous Find

I was escaping the 100 degree heat by hiding out in a used bookstore today. I like used bookstores because the books are cheaper (you'll remember that I am a cheap person), the people are friendly, and I can often find old favorites. Which is exactly what happened. You don't know this about me yet, but Vivian Vande Velde is one of my favorite authors. Her books are pretty much Middle Grade and the younger end of Young Adult. But I started reading her books when I was just a wee lass and her storytelling has always drawn me in; she has a way of making me FALL IN LOVE with both the protagonists and the love interest. I know some people are kind of lukewarm about her writing. Which is cool. We just can't be friends. (KIDDING).* Anyway, long story short, I don't own ANY of her books, despite loving almost all of them. But today I came across not one BUT TWO copies of The Rumplestiltskin Problem (Why do I need two? I don't know. But they were like $1).


Anyway, the book is six retellings of Rumplestiltskin, and my favorite is probably "Straw into Gold" which is about the miller's daughter, Della, and a noble, quiet elfin version of Rumplestiltskin who is oddly handsome. I also like this book because it's updated, but also has that old-timey fairy tale feel. AWESOME.

Have you ever run across a book you love in a place you didn't expect? What was it?



*I am kidding, promise. ^_^

-Bea

5 comments:

  1. I LOVE Vivian Van Valde (or at least I did back in 6th grade), and I hadn't heard of this one either?! AND I don't own any of her books despite loving them. I think I've read all of her books other than this one though... hm. Very interesting! :)

    And I occasionally have at the library, but not really. I have love affairs with authors, then it kind of fades, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I often find books I love that just turn up, but since I volunteer in an Oxfam Bookshop, that's probably why :) It's terrible though, I just want to steal all the books!
    I've not heard of Vivian Van Valde, I now ashamedly admit :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely checking this out, and such an awesome coincidence that I just finished reading an interpretation of Rumpelstiltskin. 1$ is such a fantastic deal, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like Jenn, random books I love turn up at the library when I'm looking up something else. :D

    Have you read a Curse as Dark as Gold? It's a Rumpelstilskin retelling, and I heard it was great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Rumpelstilskin! I also love retellings of fairtales.

    ReplyDelete