Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Book to Movie: Fail Boats and Triumph Taxis

Mostly, I do not like book to movie adaptations. Or rather, I like them, but they rarely do the original book justice. Honestly? I don't think the Harry Potter movies are as good as they could be. But only because they don't have that special magic (too much? too corny?) that the books have. I love them in their own way, and look forward to them, and squeal at the previews (and Tom Felton...should I not admit that?), but they're just not in the same league. I have to enjoy them as separate from the books, and that makes the movies fun. Alternatively, the Twilight movies haven't particularly let me down, but I think that's because I wasn't particularly invested in it anyway.

But I don't actually want to talk about all the crap that doesn't live up to my expectations or doesn't please me in some way: I'm actually here to talk about something awesome. Because Angus, Thongs, and Perfect Snogging does total justice to the original Georgia Nicholson series. In fact, I might like the series better for it. The girl who plays Georgia (fortuitously, her name is Georgia Groome) is hilarious and wonderful--in the books, Georgia sometimes wore on my nerves, but this girl is so immanently likeable and really embodies all the best parts of the book character. Also, it was directed by Gurinder Chadha, who did Bend it Like Beckham. So it also had that going for it. Instead of being sloppily cast/written/filmed (as it seems more movies are wont to be), this was true to the books and genuinely hilarious with excellent acting and writing. There is also a priceless scene where Georgia's friend Jas does a spot-on impression of Keira Knightley. I rewound it just to watch it twice. It was so satisfying because it stayed true to the tone and characters of the series, but also condensed it into a highly entertaining 90 minutes without leaving out any necessary bits.

This is Georgia Groome and Aaron Johnson, who played Robbie the Sex God. (And also was in Kickass, apparently, but I don't care so much about that):




Are there any book-to-movie adaptations that have blown you away with how good they are?

Also, can we get this Triumph Taxi thing going? We need to counter-balance all the fail boating in the world.

-Bea

No comments:

Post a Comment