Monday, October 11, 2010

NaNoWriMo 2010

November is National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo)! It's a worldwide event in which participants challenge themselves to become lean, mean writing machines and bust out a novel. The goal is to write 50,000 words in 30 days. (To give you an idea, 50,000 words is about the same length as Catcher in the Rye). It averages out to 1667 words per day, which is totally doable. There's a huge community of happy and helpful NaNo writers who all come out of the woodwork at the official site, and I would recommend it to anyone looking to challenge themselves and find fellow writers.


Last year, for Nano '09, I reached 25,000 words and still felt really pleased with myself. I wouldn't use the Nano method for everything I write, but I really enjoy using it to test out new ideas and get them down on paper. Last year I started plotting in September, but this year I'm going by the seat of my pants. We'll see how I fare. I intend to post updates about my progress here during November, and would love to hear from others doing Nano as well!

-Bea

2 comments:

  1. The logo poster thing is so cute!
    Ahem. Professionalism, Rachel, professionalism. Good luck with Nano, I hope it goes really well for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're awfully brave for participating in NaNo! I don't know if I would be able to. :-D Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete