Monday, November 1, 2010

NaNoWriMo: Day 1

Day 1 Stats

Words Written: 1667

Hours Spent: 2.5

Sentence of the Day: Somewhere in the distance, he could hear the eerie whistle of the midnight train like the plaintive, carrying cry of a loon in dark waters.

Today marks the beginning of National Novel Writing Month, and what better way to celebrate than by weeping into my keyboard and lamenting my public declarations of participation? I jest, I jest: Secretly I am having a great time, but everyone likes to talk about how they are pinching themselves to stay awake into the wee hours of the morning, eating Skittles by the pound, and staring blearily at their computer screens. This has never been a problem for me, because like any self-respecting granny I am in bed by nine o'clock.*

In all truth, however, I am remembering how difficult this really is. I wasn't exactly expecting it to take me 2.5 hours to write my daily goal. I was even writing scenes I was excited about and had kind of planned for, so imagine my trepidation about the entire middle area that I don't have planned. Sweet Lord Jesus, I hope I my non-plot is plotty enough.

All in all, I count this as successful: I am right on track in terms of word count and I like approximately half of what I wrote.

-Bea

*Except that I am not a granny and when I say nine I mean nine thirty.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, awesome start! Keep going :)(the sentence that you gave there, it was fantastic!If the whole thing is like that, then you've got a seller!)...Good luck and best wishes from me!
    -lulu

    ReplyDelete