Friday, November 5, 2010

NaNoWriMo: Day 5

Day 5 Stats

Words Written: 1959

Total Words: 8655

Sentence of the Day: Faeries always have that odd look to them; it’s not any one thing about them, but you notice it immediately in the way they stand, or the way they cock their heads a little too far to the side.

Notes: Y'all, I started over. I am definitely learning things this NaNo, and what I have learned so far is this: my big talk about taking the "middleground" and thinking vaguely about beginnings/endings/arcs/and feelings works best for my 10 to 20 page stories. Sustaining a story much longer than that takes a lot more planning. (So thank God I have a story I'd been planning for a long time). I'm much happier with this new one--and, happily, the beginning is finally coming together in a way it never has before. I've also decided that instead of trying to catch up with this new story, my goal will just be 43,304 words for the month of November. This way I don't have to play that excruciating, mind-blowing game of catch-up.

If you're doing NaNo, do you have strategies for sustaining a long-term story?

-Bea

1 comment:

  1. I really envy anyone who is participating this year. I would have loved to but work and life is a bit too hectic and crap right now (barely enough time to eat let alone write :( )

    My only advice for sustaining a long term story is to have some sort of outline. Even if it's just point notes. I know everyone says that but it really does work. I usually have one sentence describing a chapter. Only one though because I don't like my outline to be too constrictive.

    I'm a new follower btw. If you have time come by my blog too :)

    Chazz
    http://chazzhart.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete