Thursday, December 16, 2010

2010 Book Survey

2010 Book Survey

I really love memes/surveys because it's like interviewing myself, and I get to talk as much as I like and the interviewer never gets bored. And also asks all the right questions. Because it is me. These reasons are basically why I started this blog. (Insert sheepish, charming grin):

Anyway, I heard about the 2010 Book Survey from Ava at Book Infinity and thought I would celebrate the night before my last final by staying up until 1:00 am.

1. Best book of 2010? This doesn't actually count, because I actually read this book back in 2009, but E. Lockhart's Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks always deserves some air-time.

2. Worst book of 2010? The Sleeping Beauty Proposal. You guys, it was so bad.

3. Most disappointing book of 2010? Linger by Maggie Stiefvater. I really enjoyed Shiver, but for some reason was unable to even finish the sequel.

4. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2010? Chalice, by Robin McKinley. Usually I can't handle her sentence structure (/guilt), but this book was awesome!

5. Book you recommended to people most in 2010? The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. I mean, seriously: who wasn't forcing this series on people for the better part of the year? I sold it to a girl in a book store and I didn't even work there. No joke.

6. Best series you discovered in 2010? I'm currently fed up with series (and they turn me into a raging gorilla, along with slow internet connections and stupid people) but E. Lockhart's Ruby Oliver series has me hooked.

7. Favorite new authors you discovered in 2010? Brenna Yovanoff, which I think counts because she only just got published in 2010, despite authoring lots of free fiction over at Merry Sisters of Fate. Sherman Alexi (Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian) is excellent as well.

8. Most hilarious read of 2010? Half-Moon Investigations by Eoin Colfer.

9. Most thrilling, unputdownable book of 2010? Well, I did really enjoy Ally Condie's Matched. But it wasn't ever heart-hammering, the way The Hunger Games was. Which was good, because my nerves can't always take it.

10. Book you most anticipated in 2010? Matched, even though I only found out about it a couple of weeks before it was officially released.

11. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2010? I'm judgy and critical, so I only pay attention to covers I don't like. That's not true. But I'm not particularly fond of all the YA covers featuring mysterious and dramatic teens who seem somehow more than human. So basically, anything that's not that. This is hard! It's like pr0n, I guess: I know it when I see it.

12. Most memorable character in 2010? Eric, from Shaun Tan's Tales from Outer Suburbia.

13. Most beautifully written book in 2010? Tales from Outer Suburbia.

14. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2010? Shaun Tan's sweeping the floor with all the other books, apparently!

15. Book you can't believe you waited UNTIL 2010 to read? Well, let's just say I tried to get my hands on a copy of The Great Gatsby and couldn't. The things that could've been. *Wistful, winsome sigh* Actually, I tend to not bother with classics (ptew!) but I've been feeling like a slacker lately or something.

I see now that there is a lack of variety in my taste. Scroll back up for a second look at the sheepish grin. It's appropriate here, as well. But maybe not so charming the second time.

-Bea

3 comments:

  1. I really haven't had time to read much this year but your list is inspiring me to try these books out. And your tastes are just fine. I mean, EVERYONE was shoving The Hunger Games into peoples' faces this year. I need to look into this Shaun Tan fellow. He must really be good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your list! I haven't been able to get through Linger either, and I definitely shoved the Hunger Games down everyone's throat this year. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry you didn't like Linger... I'm currently reading it and I like it better than Shiver, haha funny how that works.

    Oh, and I totally agree about the classics thing. I feel like a slacker for not reading many classics...

    ReplyDelete