Friday, December 17, 2010

Book Blogger Hop 12/17-12/20

Book Blogger Hop

The Book Blogger Hop is an awesome weekly meme hosted by Crazy for Books. Click here to check it out! This week's question:

What do you consider most important in a story: the plot or the characters?

Characters! Hands down. Every time. There doesn't even have to be a plot at all, other than what's developed from the characters. I've seen other bloggers say that they'll keep reading about an annoying character so long as the plot is good (which makes sense) but I don't think I could do that. I also tend to like plots that are kind of slow and internal, like The Dive from Clausen's Pier, Catcher in the Rye, and Someday This Pain Will be Useful to You. These kind of plots require good characters to work. Although, I do also like dystopian books a lot and plot and character are probably equally important in that case.

-Bea

P.S. The links take you to Amazon, but I'm not affiliated with them in any way.

6 comments:

  1. Stopping by from the blog hop! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you. Strong characters can carry a slow plot. Even the best plot can't save a book with weak characters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This might be the best Book Blogger Hop question I've seen to date.

    So what's the answer? Plot! Hop over to my blog and let me tell you how a good plot rescued bad characters from bad book oblivion.

    Howard Sherman
    http://www.howardsherman.net

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi stopping by , new follower. I am so stuck with this and have to say both. Though characters grab me then i forget what a slow plot it might be.

    My Follow Friday/Book Blogger Hop

    ReplyDelete
  5. I definitely agree about the characters! Thanks for stopping by and following. I'm following back! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hopping by from the blog hop.

    Lots of good answers to this week's tough question.

    Stop by my blog to see my answer to this week's question.

    Also check out a design site I found...pretty neat home decorating ideas...it is in the right side panel on my blog.

    http://silversolara.blogspot.com

    Happy Holidays!!

    ReplyDelete