Thursday, January 13, 2011

Creative Endeavors and Cello Bracelets

With the start of the new year, I know a lot of bloggers have been talking about resolutions and what to look forward to--but it's also nice to look back on 2010 and see what people accomplished. One of my favorite blogs to read is Natalie C Parker's. She is thoughtful, hilarious, and succinct, and throughout 2010, she worked on what she called The Cello Project. For this project, she faithfully practiced the same piece of music for the entire year and documented it over the course of 12 videos (one per month). It's fair to say she's quite good. One of the things I like about her project is that it is an excellent example of good resolutions: it was both specific and doable, and even more exciting to see her follow through. It's certainly inspired me to make more of a commitment to my own creative endeavors this year instead of practicing them willy nilly. Anyway, to mark the completion of her project, she made two gorgeous bracelets out of her cello strings that she is planning on giving away: see pictures here.

This is the final installment, where she explains both the bracelet giveaway and plays the final, polished version of her project:




-Bea

P.S. Natalie also writes free fiction at Tangled Fiction with two other writers. One of their recent stories, a retelling of Red Riding Hood, is quite awesome: girls' academy? Simulated wolf battles? I probably don't need to tell you it should be a full-fledged novel. You may also have heard of her if you read Tessa Gratton's blog on the regular.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Bea - Wow and thank you! I'm so glad to know you've enjoyed both the Cello Project and Tangled Fiction. This just made my day...maybe even several. :)

    Cheers,
    Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Bea! Also chiming in to say thanks! We love that you read our TF stories! Thanks for spreading the word about us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Bea - thanks for your book recommendations! I have read Feed and I agree it's a neat futuristic tale. And I'm so glad you picked up a book because of my challenge, that's awesome! Would love it if you joined in :)

    I haven't read Girl, Overboard but I've heard some good things about it and I read and enjoyed North of Beautiful by the same author. I don't read many books about sports, either...*wonders if she should add another category to her list* LOL! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is awesome! I should probably do this to learn to play the guitar well. Just a sidenote. I just read The Boyfriend List by e. lockhart and it was AWESOME!Thanks so much for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so awesome and I agree, such a wonderful resolution! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete